You must have come across one of those commercials – something is self-conscious about his or her and is not baring the teeth while smiling. Then they somehow get hold of Invisalign and suddenly everybody is grinning like a maniac. Orthodontic experts assure Invisalign is indeed a revolutionary tooth straightening technology to rely upon. It can really straighten your teeth to make your smile more gorgeous and attractive. And this is the reason it is overwhelmingly popular around the globe compared to other teeth straightening alternatives.
The well-defined procedure involves using a series of clear, plastic aligners. You have to wear each pair of those for about a couple of weeks. The aim is to shift the teeth gradually over a period of time. So, will this procedure be suitable for you? Let us explore more details to make an informed decision.
Invisalign facts everyone should know
- Invisalign has a universal appeal it suits almost everyone – do you have an overbite problem? Invisalign can easily fix it. In fact, it can fix the majority of such cases. But you should be a little careful to be on the safer side. Therefore, consult your dentist or orthodontist in case you have a history of TMJ disorder, gum problem or loose teeth. TMJ is the shortened form of Temporo Mandibular Joint disorder. It is a serious condition that causes serious pain in the jaw. If none of these problems exists then almost every healthy teen and adult is a suitable candidate for this revolutionary tooth straightening treatment. However, the treatment time is likely to vary from case to case. Depending upon the volume of movement that has to be made, it may take anywhere between a few months to several years to complete your treatment.
- In certain cases, the clear braces are more suitable – the name Invisalign denotes invisible aligners. These plastic aligners are absolutely clear and transparent. This is a massive plus for people who just turn cold at the idea of metal brackets on their teeth. Moreover, clear plastic aligners can work faster than conventional braces. This is because the trays will cover your entire tooth and unlike metal brackets not just the front part of it. This has greater chances of moving things at a higher clip. That being said, for acutely criooked or overcrowded teeth there is a better option than traditional braces. Both types of braces make you vulnerable to soreness. But comparatively, Invisalign is usually more comfortable as it has no wire to poke your cheeks.
- Both a dentist and an orthodontist can treat with Invisalign – both a general dentist and an orthodontic specialist can provide you with Invisalign although technically it is a purely orthodontic procedure. The treatment requires only one thing to consider – the severity of the problem that exists. If the teeth crowding is massive you better go to an orthodontist. Else a general dentist is skillful enough to sort out minor degrees of crookedness in the teeth.
- Your dental insurance coverage may bear part of the treatment cost – the monetary aspect of the treatment cannot be ignored at any cost. Before proceeding any further with the treatment do interact with your insurance provider and ask if they cover the treatment cost. If your plan covers orthodontic insurance then you can expect a part of the treatment cost covered. The cost of the treatment usually ranges between $2,000 and $7,000. The cost is directly proportional to the treatment time. The longer the time the higher is the cost. In case your insurance plan denies picking up a part of the cost then you can look for finance options. There are several such options with absolutely zero interest where you are allowed to spread out the total cost in easy monthly installments.
- You have to make sure your teeth are in the best possible shape – even if you prefer getting your Invisalign done by an orthodontist, there is no way to avoid visiting a general dentist in order one. If there is any cavity in the moth those have to be properly filled up before starting Invisalign journey. If you take the remedial step somewhere in the midway, chances are high the liners will refuse to fit properly on the teeth. Thus, expected results will remain beyond reach.
- A major time commitment – Invisalign requires you to keep wearing the aligners at least 20 to 22 hours a day. And there is no easy way out. If you are not responsible and committed enough to keep wearing the brackets at least 20 to 22 hours a day then the Invisalign technology is just not suitable for you.
- You can make the procedure work faster though – AccleDent is a medical device that speeds up your Invisalign treatment process by as much as 50%. Because of faster tooth movement, you wear your invisible braces for about a week instead of two. Moreover, the pace-setting device reduces your discomfort to some extent. It adds up to about 10 to 15% cost of the Invisalign treatment. Feel free to talk to your dentist or orthodontist during the next visit.
- You are not allowed to eat or drink wearing the aligner trays – other than drinking plain water you have to remove the aligners every time you eat or drink anything. Popular beverages like wine and coffee easily stain the transparent plastic trays. The stained trays no more remain discreet inside the mouth. After finishing a meal, snack, or drink you should brush your teeth before putting the aligners back in place. It is advisable to carry a small toothbrush and toothpaste tube with you everywhere during the whole course of your Invisalign journey.
So, these are some of the interesting facts about cutting-edge teeth straightening technology. The information will certainly help you make an informed decision about the treatment. Unlike the other teeth straightening procedures, there is no diet restriction with a clear aligners system. However, it is important to use retainers once the treatment gets over, says our friendly orthodontist dealing in Invisalign braces in London. This prevents relapse or the teeth will not sink back into their original position again once you stop wearing the aligners.